Paint

The Paint Project

Create a body of research that will culminate a series of paintings. one of the paintings will be done on the prepared canvas that I will make during a wood workshop session.

My research will be generated from the theme of either

  • the urban environment or
  • the body and/or the self
I have selected the body and self as it gives me different perspectives on the approached I would like to take in this project and I would like to continue this project further and to produce more paintings in different forms i.e. tattoo styles etc.

My project so far consists of drawings, small colour studies, and notes regarding relevant artists related to my style/ design of work and for future approaches in this project. I think that my work is inventive and visually interesting and all are unique in its own style I have tried to be open minded throughout this project and I have produced 2d, 3d objects/ paintings. I have thought of composition, light, colour and paint application through this projects and although it doesn't look much I feel that with it not being quantity on my side I have therefore thought about the quality and effort for the processes I have been through to produce the outcomes I have to this date.

I have been through two contact critz with my tutor all was very helpful although with the suggestion on glass instead of pins was a risky choice for me as I kept injuring my hand and arms with the pins and the canvas falling on me constant so I never tried the glass option although I will consider it for the near future.

These are some of the studies I have created either in my sketchbook or I have made them 3d i.e. the bone with pins. I have decided from drawing flat imagery to try and improve my final outcomes ready for assessment by making them 3dimensional. the first out come was the bone with pins and I wasn't sure how this would have turned out but I'm glad I tried as I am very happy with the outcome I have produced. the colours however I have decided to stick with dark and dingy as not only the themes is bones but to relate it to death so at the same time there is death in the darkness and the anatomy of the work but with adding further colour i.e. metallic gold's, bronzes, blues and reds I have also created hope as life is then reborn from death for those who believe life after death.

t he images that are blow are some of the practising studies I felt was my best overall outcomes that I was testing the situation and techniques of the imagery I could make.

I have taken these images at the most interesting areas of the painting I have done so far.

This is another wooden painting I have done of a femur/ pelvis as I was concentrating on the walking joints and the structure of the body and how its formed.

 After these experimental studies I then concluded with the same drawing pins theme/ idea but on a bigger scale and to be based on a bone that is 2d on a canvas. I have never tried this but it succeeded in the whole design. I enjoyed the process but will make the bone more hollow so that it is lighter in itself but not as lethal in attaching it to the wall.


This is before when it was constructed with cardboard to keep to the structure and the rest was kitchen roll as I have found out previous that its great for when hardening and manipulation.

This is after when I have attached the pins which took me 5 hours to do. I then started to paint on top with dull and less attractive colours but looking on the pelvic bone I decided to go more colourful as then it represents the old and decayed but also the positive of the bright colours represent the life side of a human and hope still lingers.


Close up of the main area of the femur bone 2d.




These other images are the evolution to the smaller studies I have done above some of them are not complete but due to be done by December. I have made the physical anatomy of a femur bone, I have constructed this from newspaper rolls within as this was going to be a basic structure for the bone then after this I have applied thinly rolled out air drying clay around the complex and then eventually built up on the layers around the newly formed bone. I had difficulty along the way as I left it amongst an uneven surfaces and this caused it to break in two places along the middle I then used glue and clay to help strongly bond the bone together after this had fully dried I then used mod roc around the clay as this would not only keep it in tact and stable but also Strong for the amount of times I would need to move the bone around to multiple areas of my work place.


These are images of the bone I have completed and have selected these pictures as they show the individual characteristics






I then have moved on from the joint to representation's of the human body for the face/ mouth area I have used a dust mask and used tissue paper to make a replica of the shape and used drawing pins and stuck them on creating a similar theme to the bone above.


I have then carried on with the dark/ coloured theme.
 


After the 20 minute critz with the group I was selected within helped me by giving me suggestions on how to improve or create more in depth work. a few suggestions came to my liking i.e. buying a real human skull and manipulating it, or concentrating on a few outcomes of the theme of people in Mexico celebrating the day of the dead and it them looks at the positive side of death and decay.
I then began looking into artists who's works are based on the day of the dead and with each painting they tell different stories on how they see the celebrations.
Here is some of the costume designs and the artistic fashion that the Mexicans do to celebrate the day of the dead.





I then put these facial designs and used them to my advantage for the making of candy skulls I then created my own designs to try out different ways in showing the celebrating of the dead.
I then applied the designs to a 10x10 canvas in watercolours as I thought it would be the best medium to use to het the colourful yet decayed outcome I was searching for.


After this canvas was produced I then started to think about my family and that my nan passed away few years ago and that I got a tattoo in her remembrance and I thought that I will start producing designs for a tattoos but still relating it to the day of the dead but in a different approach. So far I enjoy this approach and look forward in making more canvas paintings. 


These are the experiments of the tattoo style roses that I have chose to do although my nan wasn't a fan of roses I have selected these as they work better with the designs I have started to do.


I have started to experiment with colour to see what works best for each individual design. I have used watercolours again to help with the shading and the contrasting.

After experimenting with the flower colours and designs I have then put a design together that represents life with an animated woman within the flower.


I have used MDF wood as my base of design as it is different to the usage of a canvas. after drawing the design I used watercolours as the main medium after this I then applied two layers of car lacquer to add to the finished outcomes. 


 I have now started a canvas design as part of the second project but it is still continued from the first project but in a different approach also I have chose to use acrylic paint as the main medium in this painting.


Altogether it has taken me 13hrs to get to this point in this painting on the canvas as there have been to may distractions.













No comments:

Post a Comment