Drawing

Week 10

In this week there was a crit about out journey project and how our work was getting along. I could say that my work wasn't that interesting as I get bored with projects I have done before therefore I will do something different but personal to me in the next project I think. After the crit I had I written notes down what I could do further to improve and progress on my work.
What people thought about my work:
  • Like an x-ray presentation
  • Concentrating on the walking joints
  • Good contrast
  • Details good
  • Smaller drawings could be useful
  • Too heavy in the drawings could suggest strength in bones
  • Use acetate maybe project it onto a board
  • Fragile with the shoulder blade
  • Experiment with colour
  • Textures good and keep to the layers
  • Try animation.

Weeks 9-11
In these weeks I have been selected to give a 10-15 minute presentation and or a discussion on a drawing(s) that I have selected. the drawing(s) can be taken from any historical period and be by any artist, fashion designer, architect, cartoonist, etc. But the choices should be inspired by the work I have actually seen on the London trip or other museums/galleries. the presentation should not focus on facts alone but on other information too such as:
  • why the drawing was selected?
  • what interested you in the drawing?
  • how was the drawing made?
  • what processes where involved in making the drawing?
  • is the drawing made from observation?
etc...

As it was a group discussion before hand we all decided what method would be practical in presenting our work clean and effectively we all chose power point presentation as its simple, electronic and everyone has easy access to see.



 Weeks 4 - 11

We have discussed the starting of a journey project which involves a journey of our choice that could also be personal to us but can form a descent body of work. Although I based my project around the Newark Museum which had a room full of dinosaur bones which interested me up to a certain point but then my project travelled to the human form i.e. bones on how the joints move. I then moved on from the human anatomy to the figures of people and their facial features I moved onto the facial features as it was a previous attempt of mine but failed as I didn't progress further on my drawing skills after the two attempts of drawing my friend I then enjoyed the process of using tracing paper as it was easier for me to add detail to the features. I think when I do my next project I will draw more faces of people in todays society also including more of my friends back home as this will still be personal too me but not all the time as I do want to challenge myself further.


These two images of bones are on tracing paper on purpose as when placed on a window all the layers I have made to form the bones are shown through as the light forces its way through when looking from a distance it looks like an X-Ray in a hospital.


Same with the X-Ray idea I tried to do the same style through a face of a friend but however hasn't worked out as I planned but I am happy with outcome as I was trying to experiment with a board marker still as it worked previously with the bones above.

 

In these two images I have used tracing paper as my working surface as it was
easier for me to gain the quality better on the facial features than it was for a
plain piece of paper. although a few aspects are slightly disproportioned I think that this was a better way of me to draw the human form and I enjoyed the process I went through to achieve these outcomes. 

 


This is a map of the Leicester area of where I went on my journey to the Newark Museum and other places that I bumped into along the way or way back.

 (unable to load image of map)

Journey Trail Information Note form

  • walking down the street
  • broken fridge found on right side of the street
  • corner house abandond along same street left side Rydal Street
  • got to the edge of Grasmere Street 13:14pm
  • at Clarendon Street seen abandoned building in distance
  • at DMU campus carpark near library 13:18pm
  • passing St. Andrews church along Jarrome street
  • 13:20pm passing gateway street
  • passing abandoned building with smashed window
  • closed down Dulux decorator centre
  • passing funeral cars
  • coming onto Carlton Street 13:25pm
  • smelled petrol fumes along Carlton Street
  • 13:28pm at Regent road
  • passing two people one with guitar
  • passing hly trinity church
  • passing horn buckle and Mitchel at 13:32pm
  • passing Newtontown street
  • 13:37pm man got pulled by police outside museum
  • 13:39pm police backup arrives
  • 13:41pm
  • arrived at museum
  • same time two men passes by smoking joints and there's a strong smell of marijuana
  • have taken multiple shots of skeletal bones from dinosaurs and there are no human replicas available
  • also drawing from the images taken as they don't allow charcoal observational drawings to take place
  • finished in museum at 13:57pm
  • man on phone just got out of his car shouting "yes im at work" when hes is actually paying for the pay and display for his car.
  • 14:14pm hearing the echo off another building from the infirmary ventilation system
  • back at liberty park at 14:28pm


Weeks 1-8
In the 8 weeks I have been concentrating on the different perspectives a model could be drawn at I have therefore selected one particular drawing that I enjoyed creating. It took me an hour for me to make this drawing although the model was at a difficult position I couldn't draw but I like to challenge myself at these moments. first of all I was just concentrating on one side of the paper and therefore forced myself to capture the whole picture and use all my surface available to me. I had selected willow charcoal to do this piece as it is easily manipulated and if mistakes arise then I can smudge the line(s) and start again and use the mistake as an advantage to my background.




The analysis of the group sculpture and my observational drawings.

This is a group sculpture of all our found objects placed into and on top of a swirled frame that had been welded together to get a swirl like form. With all our found objects that range from small to large in size and light to heavy in weight we all have created an interesting piece of work that is related to Robert Rauschenberg’s work as his consists of found objects too. With our objects they weren’t a loud to touch the floor as they had to balance in the frame that was provided and with this our objects had to balance and support one another the keep the shape. Once the sculpture was formed we had to select a certain area to draw from and the part that interested me the most was the folded up pram, the electric fan, an insulated industrial orange pipe and a walls ice cream sign that was found on the street. Some of these objects are interesting either in the shape, context, or character. Some of the objects also were interesting as they had a sense of depth. As we had to draw on brown paper we observed the sculpture 80% of the time as we had to capture the 3d aspects of the found objects. I think that as I was drawing it I could have started in the middle of the paper as I would have fitted the objects on the page but then I realised at the last minute that it was all out of scale. As I started to look at the sculpture that I was going to draws I had to think about a few aspects. I had to know which side I was going to start and how I would draw the sculpture in order for me to capture the 3 dimensional shapes within the sculpture itself. So I used the graphite to lightly show some of the outlines of the sculpture and then when I was confident enough to carry on with the rest of the drawing I started to press harder against the paper to thicken the lines and to make them show more. After carefully looking back and forth to the sculpture and my A1 paper I started to think of other aspects of the sculpture and what I am able to capture within my drawing within a short amount of time I had. I then thought about the positive and negative areas with the drawing I have slightly completed and I wasn’t too sure on how to do this part. I think that I need more time in trying to figure out the negative areas within a drawing so I can then identify it next time when it comes to another observational drawing I am able to spend less time worrying and more time concentrating to get the observation completed in the amount of time given. I then started to think about the shapes that not only the objects make within but what the blank space on the outside makes i.e. squares and triangles, all with their unique way in creating itself. Within my drawing I created a fan out of the sculpture and I had a slight bit of a challenge as I had to make sure that the overall effect was that to see that the fan blade look like they are behind the fan guards and I think that I have done a good job but to get this effect I coloured the blades in with charcoal and then added splotches of white paint on the charcoal and smudged it within one another in different directions to make it look abstract and therefore I think that this is my best part and the focal point of my drawing because I have spent so much time on that specific area than what I have with the rest of the drawing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment