Drawing

My work is about Taekwondo and how their movements can be captured by observational studies. I have captured multiple movements in different moments in time, each image unique in its self. During my study of different techniques that are relevant to my work I became fond of image transfer with acrylic paint. I have done this several time but on different materials that where available to me such as paper, netting, brown paper, newspaper and canvas. After concentrating on image transfers I moved on to a more digital range of work as I used illustrator to edit and manipulate the images taken in my Taekwondo sessions. My weakness for this topic was my range for thinking shrank and I stop producing work until an artist called Brian Eno helped me with his production line of strategic cards that gave me motivation and fresh ideas for my work. I have chosen Taekwondo as their movements are irregular to everyday activity also how the images capture the still movements of different patterns that are practiced in training. In future I hope to produce more works on different materials or even the training suit that I train in to help me fully develop the range the images can be put into the right context. Also to develop my illustration skills created on computer by adding colour, texture etc. 




My project is focused on movement as I have chosen a specific activity to help with my project. Taekwondo is a martial art that is formed and created from all types of movements that captures the raw scenery and meaning of the arts. There are different types of martial arts ranging from taekwondo to karate. I choose taekwondo as it allows me to have a variety of opportunities to capture the movements in patterns and 1-1 sparring. My collection of images and drawings electronically show mostly sparring but with different types of bodies used and situations as some are friendly and some are in competition environments. Ego in people is always high just like moral support for our home teams. Every situation is different practice sparring is without padding and full on contact with your opponent is with protection as it gets very physical. With creating multiple imagery I have then researched on an artist that helps to strategize others work and keeps them options open for their work. Brian Eno is a big influence during my research as he creates numerous cards that have simple lettering but with each word has a huge effect that allows the worker/ thinker to produce more various expansions on their work. I have taken images of taekwondo movements but most were blurred therefore to produce better details of the movement I have placed myself as the main subject in my dobok trying out high, middle and low section kicks, punches etc. other than producing just drawings and images as part of my work I have physically got a dobok showing the most images taken and emulsion printed on it. I have selected a dobok as it shows personal history to me as I have included two belts that I gained at the beginning of my learning experience. I have also created coloured imagery to me placed on these. I have created a range of imagery from observational studies during my classes and competitions also including myself within them. Top improve this further with more time I could design my own dobok in the style suited for this situation and gathered more relevant detailed imagery and drawings to show.











these images have been carefully edited to capture specific moves for Taekwondo they are based on learning new moves in patterns and some are for sparring with full on contact. I thought that with taking images of movements i would capture them smudging in the process of moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment